Tuesday, February 12, 2008

I Quit!

I have never quit anything in my entire life. Whether it was the numerous kinds of dance that I did from Hula/Tahitian to Ballet/Tap/Jazz or the one sport I played (tennis), or piano lessons, I was never the one that ended these endeavors. My teacher/coach/mother (she denies making me quit hula to this day) was always the one that quit, stopped showing up, or told me we lived to far away now.

Yesterday, for the first time in my entire life I quit something. Even though it's only a temporary quitting since I will have to take the class later on, it was still quiting. It was new for me, but let me tell you... IT FEELS GREAT! Now, i'm not saying that this is going to be a frequent part of my life, because that's just not me... but it felt great to have the freedom to say, "nope. I'm not going to take that class anymore, I would like to have friends and actually retain what I learn in my other classes."

I felt about an 80 pound weight lifted off of me yesterday. I was free, smiley, giggily, and lighthearted. Also, for the first time in the last two weeks I woke up this morning without bloodshot eyes that look like i've been on crack for about 8 years.

All this to say, sometimes giving up is the right thing to do.

P.S. As I was writing this I remembered that I did quit something once. I quit one classical education program to move to another one.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hehe. yes i remember you quitting. QUITTER!

just kidding. :) it feels good to quit some things, yea?

Mike Dalton Bass Player said...

I never quit anything, oh wait, I've been through 3 jobs in the last year, Nevermind

Anonymous said...

I think I must have quit some things but I can't think what. I left Jamba but that was for Ethical reasons? and then I left Oasis to go to Biola. I don't think I ever dropped a class. I wish wish wish I could drop a class this semester. I'm completely exhausted.

Cate said...

Umm HI! Remember me? The girl who practically had to beg you to quit this class when we talked about it for an HOUR?

I'm proud of you.