Tuesday, February 05, 2008

It's Almost Spring... And You Know What That Means!

BASEBALL IS COMING BACK!!!!

Those words bring rest to my soul. In two of the longest months of my life the sporting love of my life will return to me (and I mean baseball in general, not just Vladi... so no suggestive comments).

I discovered after the superbowl this weekend that I can not emotionally handle being fully invested in any other sport than baseball. It's too much. My mood for the day generally depends on whether the boys are winning or losing, and that is too much to carry through out the whole year. April to September (and sometimes October) is almost more than my big loyal and obssessed heart can stand. Maybe at some point in my life I will be able to handle being an avid fan of something other than baseball, but if I tried it now I might die.

Spring training starts this month and soon ESPN will be littered with news about the upcoming season, and it will finally be worth watching again.

I think I can already smell the stadium... it's a surprisingly peaceful smell (even the smell of the beer soaked people around me brings a smile to my face). It's all part of the wonderfulness that is baseball.

1 comment:

Laurie said...

Mmmnn...music to my recreational soul! :)
I grew up in a family of 4 girls with a Dad who worked for the California Angels! I became the son he wished he had..o.k...so I'm both the daughter he loves and sports enthusiast he enjoys. Now I feel a little to old to be reveling in my bobbysoxer and all star days, so I'll suffer myself not to go there.
Needless to say I was a happy happy girl when the Angels took the World Series Championship in 2002!! I don't think I've screamed so loud since. :)

Blessings to you Ellie!
Laurie