Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Kern River is Cold... Cold and Awesome.

If you were wondering why I haven't posted in a week (which i'm sure you're not, since that's about how often I post anyways), it's because I have been in a lovely little place called Johnsondale. It's about 30 minutes above Kernville and it's fantastic. My family spends a few weeks a year at our cabin up there and I join them when I can. This summer we spent two of the three days I was up there floating in rafty things in the Kern River. Pop quiz! Where do mountain rivers get there water from? That's right! Melted Snow! It was cold. Cold but surprisingly relaxing. My sisters and I also spent some time singing and playing bluegrass music together (all two of the songs we know). One guitar (the other wouldn't tune right), one banjo, and two voices adds up to a lot of fun. We're thinking about playing both our songs at the Temecula Bluegrass Festival next year... ;-) 

But, it all seriousness how many times in our busy lives do we get to spend hours during the day floating around in circles, trying not to get carried down stream and the evening serenading our neighbors with "I'll Fly Away" and "Will the Circle be Unbroken"? Not many my friends, not many. Fortunately for me, now that we have rafty things I get to spend at least a few days a year floating in a river and hopefully we'll learn more songs for next year.

Life is good :-)

No comments: